IBM Interview Experience by a Placed Candidate
Company Name: IBM
Interview Location: Pune
Interview Date: 8th Feb 2014
IBM Selection Process Consists of 3 Rounds
Round 1: Online Aptitude test
Round 2: Online English Assessment Test
Round 3: Interview
Round 1: Online Aptitude test
(i) Number series (18 questions with a timer of 2 min and 15 sec for each questions)
What is the next number of the following sequences
4) 18, 24, 5, 21, 27, 8, 17, 23, 4, 24, 30, ?
5) 100, 98, 95, 90, 83,?
(ii) Quants (18 questions with a timer of 2 min and 15 sec for each question)
They were mainly concentrate on following topics
a) Time and distance.
b) Time and work.
c) Profit and loss.
e) Ratio and Proportion
Some of them are:
1). In a bank 60 percent employees are men. 80%men and 20%women belong to retirement plan. what percent of people belong to retirement plan?
If total employees=x, Number of Men=0.6x, Women=0.4x
Men for retirement plan=0.6x(80/100)=0.48x
Women for retirement plan=0.4x(20/100)=0.08x
% of people belonging to retirement plan=100*(0.48x+0.08x)/x=56
2). The dimensions of a certain machine are 48*32*52, if the size of the machine is increased proportionally until some of dimensions equals 156.
3). A can do a work in 6 days, B can do a work in 8 days and C can do it in 12 days. B left work after 6 days. For how many number of days should A and C should work together to complete the remaining work?
A complete work in 6 days
B complete work in 8 days
C complete work in 12 days
B’s 1 day work=1/8
6 day’s work=6/8
A+C 1 day work together = 1/6+1/12=1/4
so A and C work 1 day to complete remaining work
ans. 1 day
4). A sphere is cut into 4 identical pieces after it was painted. What is the ratio of the painted area to the unpainted area?
After cutting into four pieces we have each piece having two semicircular planes perpendicular to each other giving a (unpainted) surface area of pi*r^2. Hence ratio is 1:1
5). A letter has to be printed 100 lines with 80 character, if 40 character per line printed how many lines it take.
Total characters to be printed=80*100
if 40 characters printed in 1 line
therefore to print 8000 characters we need=1/40 *8000=200 lines
They have informed the result on same day within 20 mins, and I was selected for the first round. Out of 3000 (around) people 500 (around) were selected in first round. Then they were conducted second round also same day immediately.
Round 2: Business English Communication Skills
There they were concentrated on Punctuation, correct usage of words from following passage, and error detection and so on.
1) Can we use “Hi” (salutation), in Business letters or emails yes/no.
3) Meaning 3 attachments are there in addition to the letter. true or false?
Q. What does sexist language means?
(A) Language indicating towards woman.
(B) Information conveyed as being a male.
(C) language indicating difference between man and woman.
3) How to end business letter
– a & c
4) Which is in the correct sense?
(A) This child, who was misdiagnosed, thrive by spirit.
(B) This child, who was misdiagnosed, thrives by spirit.
(C) This child, who was misdiagnosed, thrived by spirit.
5) Ranny was with sally and me.
Ranny was with sally and I.
Ranny was with me and Sally.
6) It is a breach of etiquette to have documents signed by administrative assistant on behalf of administrative officer. (T/F)
7) Which of the following will you choose for a short notice to change the lunch hours?
1) Specific details.
2) Context and problem.
3) Regarding lunch hours.
4) All the above.
8) Kelly is a good babysitter. Qualified, professional and fun
1) Dangling modifier.
2) Run on sentence.
3) A sentence fragment.
9) Is it necessary to include a table of contents regardless of the size of the document. true or false?
10) Name is Roger Smith, who is also the president. What is the proper salutation?
– Dear Mr. Roger Smith:
– Dear Mr. Roger:
– Dear Mr. Smith:
– Dear President Smith:
11) The coachy my best friend play with me everyday. Write the sentence using comma at appropriate position
12) In formal letter for better understanding
1. Repeat ideas with picture and all.
2. Repeat important ideas.
3. Refrain from repeating ideas.
4. One and two.
13) In formal email personal introduction should be done.
1. After the body of letter.
2. Within body of letter.
3. At the start of body of letter.
14) The question below consists of a pair of related words followed by four pair of words. Select the pair that best express the relation in the original pair: Deprecate: Credit
a. enhance: disparage
b. bait: heckle
c. unfair: biased
d. discourage: force
15) Convert into passive/active voice.
1. They objected to my proposal.
2. People believe him to be innocent.
3. The invigilator was reading out the instructions.
16) Convert into direct/indirect speech.
1. The preacher said, “Honesty is the best policy.”
2. I said to my father, “I am coming back after two hours.
17) Sign by blue ink is authentic if done by blue ink TRUE or FALSE
18) Which is the correct use of pronoun?
(a) Each executive.
(b) Few Of the executive.
(c) One Of the Executive.
(d) All Of the above.
19) Which is correct?
(a) Dear President Smith;
(b) Dear Mr Smith;
(c) Dear Mr Smith:
20) In formal document prepared for meeting should contain
1. Purpose of document.
2. User exception from the document.
3. Brief details n content about document .
4. All of these.
21) Correct form of English:
a) Samuel was with Susan and I
b) Samuel was with Susan and me
c) Samuel was with I and Susan
d) Samuel was with me and Susan
e) None of these
22) Find the active voice sentence below.
1) The car has driven by him.
2) He cleaned the car.
3) It will be more complex algorithm.
23 ) Is that emotions used in formal emails?
24) Miss Sheela is dancer. Funny, arrogant and stylish. find type of error
– Run out error.
– Sentence fragment (correct).
25) what to include in business letter
– Reason of writing.
– For whom intended.
– All of above.
26) Is it possible to not write document content if it exceeds the length?
around 90 people were shortlisted for Interview.
Round 3: Interview
1) About yourself.
3) Willingness to relocate.
4) What you know about ibm?
5) Why you want to work with us?
6) Are you flexible with technology as per project requirement?
7) Do you have any question for me?